Basic Skills Course – A Great Start for New Paddlers
The Sandgate Canoe Club Basic Skills Courses are run for new club members, primarily to ensure that everyone who paddles with the club has a certain level of skill. The course is run by fully accredited Australian Canoeing instructors and certificates are issued by Australian Canoeing.
Basic Skills courses are generally held on the first Saturday of the month from September to May.
Costs and Registration
The cost of the Basic Skills Course is $197. This covers both the course and 12 months membership to AC and to SCC. It also covers you with AC insurance during the course and throughout the membership period. Click here for more information about insurance.
The Membership Coordinator will provide you with detailed instructions on how to register online with Australian Canoeing. He can also help with your SCC membership enquiries. Please email the Membership Registrar at email@example.com .
What to Expect
The course will give you a practical appreciation of basic paddling technique and safety. For a more detailed outline on what you will learn on the day, please download the briefing notes and AC course module below. The course itself can take the best part of the day to complete, and you will be on the water in full sun for part of that time. You will also get wet!
We supply boats, paddles and PFD’s. Participants bring the following:
- Medical Form – Most important and necessary to participate! Please download the form, fill it out, and return to us by email BEFORE the day.
- Appropriate Paddling Wear – We recommend lightweight clothes that allow movement but provide sun protection, including a hat, sunglasses, long-sleeved shirt and board shorts.
- Sunscreen, water and snacks
- Shoes – water shoes or old trainers – not your best ones, they will get wet!
- Towel and a change of clothes.
Contacts for Basic Skills
If you would like more information about the course, please contact
Membership Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more details.
We will also require your contact phone number in case of last minute changes (bad weather etc).